Hi, this is Anna from Mendoza Agency Inc., with one of our most frequently asked questions, “Can I cancel my insurance and keep my plates in New York?”
The answer is no. For the Department of Motor Vehicles you need to first surrender your plates before canceling your policy. If you don’t do so, they will suspend your registration and also your driver’s license.
So, once you surrender your plates, they will print a form called FS-6, which is a tax receipt with the details of the vehicles and also the surrender date. As your agents, we need that document in order to proceed accordingly. Sometimes the DMV takes a couple of days to send you that document, but you don’t have to worry, because we will use this surrender date as the cancellation effective date.

Call The Mendoza Agency in Bronx NY at (718) 684-5200